Virtues Enquiry – Patience Introduction
Overview: To think about when patience is needed in life, when it’s hard to be patient, identifying strategies to grow patience and perseverance, recognising patience in adversity. To consider what difference faith in God can make to being patient, for example how Simeon and Anna’s examples of extraordinary patience are rewarded, being patient with others and helping others to grow patience.
Virtues theme Patience and Perseverance Linked virtues: hope, faith, trust
Simeon and Anna – The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2 22-40) and Wintershall’s clips of dramatised scenes from The Life of Christ production provide the theological stimulus for a Virtues Enquiry on the shared human value of Patience. Patience is listed in the Bible as one of the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23a) The fruits of the spirit in their biblical context are Christ-like virtues or qualities, aspired to by followers of Jesus, enabled by faith in Jesus as a personal Saviour and the transforming work of the Holy Spirit on a believer’s character and life.
Read more…www.christianvirtues4schools.org for background theology and examples
Session 1- INSPIRE Concept Cracking
Session 2 – EXPLORE Humility in Daily Life
Session 3 – ENQUIRE Biblical Text and Interpretation
Session 4- RESPOND Biblical Drama Workshop
Session 5 – REFLECT Together
Session 6 – ASSEMBLY Outline
Downloadable Resource material to support your Patience Virtues Enquiry is as follows:
- Film clips of scenes from this powerful re-enactment of Jesus’s life to illustrate selected Christian virtues and values, for example the moment when Jesus demonstrates humility and service through washing his disciples’ feet.
- Clips of actors who play some of the different characters in these scenes, reflect on these virtues and values offering different viewpoints and explaining the impact of the bible story or Jesus teaching and example on their own lives.
- Overview of age appropriate learning journeys for Virtues and Values Enquiry
- Virtues learning activities
- Historical background information
- Bible drama workshop – Patience
- Virtues Enquiry assembly outlines integrating links with values enquiry learning, video clips and reflective questions designed for use in whole school or classroom using the ‘Gather, Inspire, Reflect, Respond, Send’ model.