Virtues Enquiry – Humility (Gentleness) Introduction
Learning Activities and Resources
Overview: To think about when humility is needed in life and shown by others. When it’s hard to express this virtue or personal quality what is involved in being humble?; identifying strategies to develop humility and service as personal qualities; recognising humility as different from other forms of serving people– how Jesus’s examples of humility challenged people’s attitudes and affirmed people; helping others show humility. Jesus as a divine and human embodiment of ‘love’ itself, modelling total acceptance, treating everyone as equals, self-sacrifice, honouring others.
Linked virtues and qualities: Service, empathy, self-sacrifice, respect, acceptance, kindness, caring.
Read more…www.christianvirtues4schools.org for background theology and examples
Aims of Virtues Enquiry Through Drama Learning Activities
- To explore and explain the concept of humility as a virtue/personal quality
- To investigate a Christian perspective using the biblical example
- To identify strategies for showing humility and encouraging others to do the same
- To understand what difference belief in God makes to virtues learning and character development
Curriculum links PSHCE, RE, SMSC, P4C, Literacy, History
Primary KS1 and KS2 – learning to be humble, serving others, humility in relationship with God and others
Secondary KS3 – recognising humility and situations when it is important to show humility, strategies for developing a humble attitude
Session 1– INSPIRE Concept Cracking
Session 2 – EXPLORE Humility in Daily Life
Session 3 – ENQUIRE Biblical Text and Interpretation
Session 4– RESPOND Biblical Drama Workshop
Session 5 – REFLECT Together
Session 6 – ASSEMBLY Outline
Download the complete pdf below
Resource material to support your Humility Virtues Enquiry:
- Biblical Text Jesus washes the disciples feet John 13:1-15
- Film clips of scenes to illustrate selected Christian virtues/fruits of the spirit, for example the moment when Jesus demonstrates humility and service through washing his disciples’ feet.
- Clips of actors who play some of the different characters in these scenes, reflect on these virtues and values offering different viewpoints and explaining the impact of the bible story or Jesus teaching and example on their own lives.
- Virtues Learning Activities– Inspire, Explore, Enquire, Respond, Reflect, Assembly
- Historical background and Theology
- Bible Drama workshop material PDF Bible drama workshop – humility
- Story and Drama Toolkit
- Reference to The Jublilee Centre – Framework for Character Education for schools