Activity 2: Behind the scenes – what do people do and why?
Consider the variety of different people involved in the Wintershall productions. For each person below, ask pupils to:
- identify the key points from the account which help to explain why they started being involved
- consider how the choice to be involved in the play serve as an example of a believer following Jesus’s teaching and commandments to share the Good news and to love your neighbour
- explore the impact this one person’s act of obedience to a sense of God’s call to write, direct, produce or act in the production, has on all those around them, including the audience.
Activity 2a: The script writer
WATCH…the promotional video about Wintershall productions to hear the producer, director and actors talking about the production and its impact.
Pupils make notes while watching the video about the motivations of the people speaking about why they are involved. Share these notes and consider how their explanations help to answer the enquiry.
READ… an excerpt from ‘Our story’, where Peter and Ann Hutley explain how they started the outdoor productions.
Activity 2b: The Directors and Producer
READ… interviews with the directors and producer describing why they are involved in biblical drama
Activity 2c: The Actors
LISTEN to the professional actor who plays Jesus describing why they specialised in Biblical drama
Encourage pupils to listen carefully to hear how the actor describes his understanding of the person of Jesus, his life and impact gained from specialising in biblical drama, as well as his personal reflections on how it has impacted his own life.
WATCH actor interview clips with Wintershall cast members describe the impact of acting in particular scenes. For further ideas on the impact of biblical drama on everyday life, see ‘Virtues Enquiry through Drama’ resource referenced in DIGGING DEEPER
Activity 2d: Explore More…
LOOK …at a collection of photographs of people carrying out different roles in the production
- Volunteer actors
- Lighting engineers
- Stage managers
- Costume designers and makers
- Make up
- Prop makers
- Production Team
Present your thoughts in the form of a flow diagram title: dramatising the Gospel, visualising the Gospel:
- impacts people by…
- in their everyday life, Christians might…