IMPACT Activity 1: Be a Biblical Drama Detective
WATCH…a video clip from ‘The Life of Christ’ to familiarise pupils with the production as an example of Biblical drama being used as a tool for communicating the Gospel. Full selection of clips available here
Encourage pupils to share their first impressions, feelings and thoughts in response to watching the video clips of the production. Capture these reflections on the working wall or as a video clip.
EVALUATE… the selection of video clips from the Life of Christ to enquire more deeply about why Christians use the dramatic arts to communicate the Gospel.
You might like to use the scripture and video clips as inspiration and set up a series of mini enquiries for groups of pupils to carry out whilst watching the clips to help them gain a rounded understanding. Pupils need to refer to the bible texts alongside watching the video clips in order to explore these questions. N.B. Direct links to the relevant Bible texts that inspired each scene are available with each online clip. Clips and scripture links available here
- Group 1 What evidence is there of the Gospel message being communicated in this scene?
- Group 2 How does the actor playing Jesus help you understand the kind of personal qualities Jesus might have had?
- Group 3 What parts of the script come directly from scripture and what has been added for dramatic effect?
- Group 4 How might dramatising scripture inspire and help people understand the Gospel?
- Group 5 How many different art forms contribute to the performance?
- Group 6 What different kinds of skills and tasks might be involved in putting on this performance