Virtues Enquiry using the Biblical text from Luke 2: 22-40 – The Presentation of Christ in the Temple
The excerpt from the Christian Bible, Simeon and Anna – The Presentation of Christ in the Temple (Luke 2: 22-40) and Wintershall’s dramatised clips of scenes from The Life of Christ’ production provide the theological stimulus to a Virtues Enquiry on the shared human virtue of patience.
Patience is described in the Bible as one of nine fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5) The fruits of the spirit in their biblical context are Christ-like qualities aspired to by followers of Jesus, and enabled by faith in Jesus and the transforming work of the Holy spirit.
Linked virtues and values: perseverance, hope, faith, trust
Wintershall’s Character Education material inspires high-level thinking, creative learning and reflection for schools. Each virtue theme is explored within a solid theological and conceptual enquiry framework which fulfils National Curriculum Guidelines (NCFRE 2103) and Diocesan Guidelines for RE, as well as ‘Understanding Christianity’. The resources also significantly contribute to pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development (SMSCD).
Initially three Christian virtues or fruits of the Spirit linked to biblical text and stories documenting the example and teachings of Jesus, are being made available:
- Patience – Simeon and Anna – The presentation of Jesus in the temple. Luke 2 22-40
- Unconditional love, being inclusive – Jesus heals the leper. Mark 1:40-42
- Humility – Jesus washing his disciples’ feet. John 13:1-15
The resource materials that support virtues enquiry are detailed to enable all staff, including non-specialists to deliver high quality teaching, learning and reflection either as a Virtues Enquiry, Pause day or flexibly as a series of individual lessons with a linked virtues assembly. The Virtues Enquiry/Pause Day approach to delivery is not intended to replace the statutory RE units, but to provide ‘space’ to enhance and deepen pupils’ understanding. These are most effectively delivered as a PSHCE virtues or values day.
The Virtues Learning material is designed to be as accessible and user friendly as possible through offering:
• film clips of scenes, actor viewpoint clips and stills from The Life of Christ
• outlines of age appropriate learning journeys for each value
• detailed teaching and learning activities with background information
• Bible drama workshop material and guidelines
• assembly outlines for each virtue