Virtues Enquiry using the biblical text from John 13: 1-15 – Jesus washes his disciples’ feet
The excerpt from the Christian Bible when Jesus washes the disciples’ feet (John 13: 1-15) and Wintershall’s dramatised clips of scenes from The Life of Christ’ production provide the theological stimulus to a Virtues Enquiry on the shared human virtue of Humility.
Humility is described in the Bible as one of nine fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5) The fruits of the spirit in their biblical context are Christ-like qualities aspired to by followers of Jesus, and enabled by faith in Jesus and the transforming work of the Holy spirit.
Linked virtues and values: self-sacrifice, service, compassion, kindness, self-sacrifice, faith, trust
Suggested learning activities
Fully worked learning activities for each session are presented as a PDF( see below) and as a series of webpages, designed for flexible or sequential use on an interactive whiteboard under Learning Activities-Humility.
- Virtues Enquiry Unit – Humility (PDF) offers detailed teaching and learning activities to complement the learning activities webpages. Humility-Values-Enquiry.pdf
- Learning Activities – Humility(PDF) are presented in sequence for reference alongside the webpages.
- Bible drama workshop – humility
Wintershall’s Character Education material inspires high-level thinking, creative learning and reflection for schools. Each virtue theme or fruit of the spirit is explored within a solid theological and conceptual enquiry framework which fulfils National Curriculum Guidelines (NCFRE 2103) and Diocesan Guidelines for RE, as well as complements the aims of ‘Understanding Christianity’. The resources also significantly contribute to pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development (SMSCD)
Initially three Christian virtues/fruits of the spirit linked to selected bible stories, the example and teachings of Jesus, are being made available:
- Patience – Simeon and Anna – The presentation of Jesus in the temple. Luke 2 22-40
- Unconditional love, being inclusive – Jesus heals the leper. Luke 5: 12-16
- Humility – Jesus washing his disciples’ feet. John 13:1-15
Approaches to delivery
The resource materials that support virtues and values enquiries are detailed to enable all staff, including non-specialists, to deliver high quality teaching, learning and reflection either as a Virtues or RE Explore day or flexibly as a series of individual lessons with a linked values assembly. The Virtues Explore Day approach to delivery is not intended to replace the statutory RE units, but to provide ‘space’ to enhance and deepen pupils’ understanding. It works well delivered as a PSHCE focused day.
The Virtues Learning material is designed to be as accessible and user friendly as possible offering:
- film clips of scenes, actor viewpoint clips and stills from The Life of Christ
- outlines of age appropriate learning journeys for each virtue
- detailed teaching and learning activities with background information
- Bible drama workshop material and guidelines
- assembly outlines for each virtue