The biblical account of Jesus washing his disciples feet (John 5 12-16) and Wintershall’s dramatised clips of scenes from the Life of Christ provide the theological stimulus for a Virtues Enquiry on the shared human value of humility. Humility is listed in the Bible as one of the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23a) The fruits of the spirit in their biblical context are Christ-like virtues or qualities, aspired to by followers of Jesus, enabled by faith in Jesus as a personal Saviour and the transforming work of the Holy Spirit on a believer’s character.
Downloadable Resource material to support your Humility Virtues Enquiry is as follows:
- Film clips of scenes from this powerful re-enactment of Jesus’s life to illustrate selected Christian virtues/fruits of the spirit, for example the moment when Jesus demonstrates humility and service through washing his disciples’ feet.
- Clips of actors who play some of the different characters in these scenes, reflect on these virtues and values offering different viewpoints and explaining the impact of the bible story or Jesus teaching and example on their own lives.
- Overview of phase appropriate learning journeys
- Virtues Learning Activities- Humility PDF
- Virtues Enquiry unit – Humility PDF
- Historical background PDF John-13-1-15-Historical-backgroud.pdf
- Theology and Scripture Scrutiny PDF Jesus-washes-his-disciples-feet-theology.pdf
- Bible Drama workshop material PDF Bible drama workshop – humility
- Reflective Questions linked to the scene PDF
- Virtues enquiry assembly outline PDF Humility-Values-Enquiry-Assembly-outline.pdf
- Assembly delivery options PDF Virtues Enquiry - Humility